Thursday, May 28, 2009

Hot Yoga

Today Sarah and I went for our very first class of 'Hot Yoga'. For those of you who don't know what this is - it is yoga in a heated room - and I mean heated! I read somewhere that it is 40c in there. Basically you do 90 minutes of yoga in extreme heat - quite the challenge! I had no idea what to expect going in... I was really nervous - scared that I might pass out, or throw up, or god knows what.

In the end I found it to be a very challenging and wonderful experience. It was hard - I had to sit out of the last couple poses because I felt light headed. Also, I don't think I have ever sweat that much in my life! The instructor was great - he is actually the owner of the studio.

And what a beautiful studio! It is very well maintained, clean and comfortable. 

Sarah and I got 3 for 1 passes. We have already paid, so now we can go 2 more times for free! I am really excited to go, and will report back on how those classes go.

To report on the first one, here's how I was/am feeling:
- SUPER nervous beforehand...
- a little jolted by the heat and humidity when I entered the studio
- found it to be not as bad as I had expected to start
- found it hard to hold onto my own body when required (holding my ankle, etc) because I was SO sweaty
- near the end started to feel lightheaded...
- sat out a couple poses and drank a lot of water
- could not wait for the coolness of the lobby when it was over
- I now feel super limber and relaxed
- feeling a bit drained and tired, but I still need to eat more food
- super excited to give it a second try! (and proud of myself for not passing out)

:)

I won't be so nervous next time!

Check out their website at: www.bikramyogakw.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay, good work! I'd be worried about dying horribly if I tried hot yoga. Horribly and violently.

Meghan Kraatz said...

No no! It's awesome. It's certainly a challenge, but awesome.